Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Getting High in Peru with a Peruano Breakfast



A Peruano Breakfast
            Several of our students here in Peru have posted various food items more than just cuy/quwi (guinea pig). Well, I have not tried to eat rodents yet, but I would like to show you my favorite Peruano breakfast that I fix for my wife and self.
            I begin with a skillet adding a bit of sunflower, soybean, or olive oil. Ahead of time, I’ve chopped up red onion, green olives, and a bit of green or red pepper. Here I made a mistake back in August, shortly after we moved here. As soon as I added the pepper to the mix, we began to cough, with teary eyes nonstop. I checked with my chef son-in-law, and he said that by sautéing the pepper seeds, I was producing the equivalent of pepper spray. So, I kicked out the seeds; it was still very hot, so I drastically reduced the amount of pepper in the mix. 

            Anyway, once the mix has sautéed a bit, I move the mix to the middle and then drop an egg on top of the mix. Once the egg white hardens a bit, I slide the egg to one side to add two additional items. I place a slab of “squeaky” cheese, here in Peru it is called Paria Cheese. I came to love this cheese while working in the Middle East where it has different names. Find it, buy it, and eat it to see why we call it squeaky cheese. It has another interesting quality; it does not melt as it heats up. I add some avocado, which is low cost here in Peru. 

            Once the cheese and avocado have heated up a bit, I place the cheese and avocado on a plate and the egg on top of it so that when you cut it up, every bite may contain two of the three main ingredients. Serve the egg either sunny side up or over for a few seconds to make it a bit more crisp. My wife prefers to just eat the egg with the cheese and avocado, but I prefer to eat mine between the flaky bread roll. Yum. With this breakfast, I am ready to bike, jog, or work out in the fitness room at the Club. Have a good day. 
Paz y Shalom

No comments:

Post a Comment