Friday, August 22, 2014

Getting High in Peru,Year 2, Biking Down from near 16,000' Again



Getting High in Peru: Biking at 15,760 feet near Arequipa
Arrangements for the bike ride were made by Katia Zegarra Casteneda 946780025 and through Norma at Quechua Exploring in Arequipa, Peru  (Calle Jerusalem 508) Telef: (054) 282965

 4747 meters equal 15,760 feet


Misti is behind our bikes in July 2014. It is just less than 20,000 feet

A new group of students is here in Arequipa for five months for intensive language study. We do a lot together and there is much to experience here in southern Peru. I am encouraging them to do three additional experiences, two of which we did together last year, but here is a third, biking down Mt Chachani. Therefore, I have revised this one on biking since I biked Chachani in July again, and I plan to repost rafting the Rio Chili, and climbing Misti. 

One of my goals while living here in Arequipa was to bike down Mt Chachani. I finally got the call late Monday afternoon that a group was going up Tuesday morning. Could I join them? I said, yes, and I walked down to their office to pay them and to ask questions.
            Tuesday AM, they came early to pick me up. I was ready for the experience. It was mostly a sunny day. I have my own bike, so they fastened it to the roof rack and off we went in the direction of Chachani. We live at about 8000 feet, and unless you are heading into town, the road goes up and up and up. We went along the ridge of the canyon with the Rio Chili below, which was pretty. Soon we reached the level of the Pueblos Jovenes. People from miles away have come to Arequipa to better their lives but have no money to rent a house or an apartment, so they build a small “house” with whatever material is available on the mountainside. As we continue climbing, we reach the area where the electricity ends, but the little houses continue to march up the mountain. Finally, we reach the elevation where all habitation ends and it is just the scrub brush and us. The switchbacks continue and finally end at the elevation of 15,737 feet. Chachani is just over 20,000 feet.
            There is no snow on Misti and no snow at our level, but above us, the multiple peaks of Chachani do have snow. We get our bikes off the roof of our Jeep, we snack and drink water, put on elbow and knee pads in case we fall, and finally we begin the ride. The group takes off leaving me behind in the loose volcanic dust. I do not appreciate my wheels swaying in the loose dust and I went poco-poco (slow-slow). The group waits for me at the bottom of this loose dust and then I follow the guide. 



 There's Misti. I'm at 15,737' and Misti is close to 20,000'
Another view without me below






 On my way down, I'm looking back at Chachani
Looks like Inca or pre-Inca terracing on the left.

            Most of the ride down was on rocks so it was a very jarring ride. I have been back now for four hours, and my back is beginning to ache. You are unable to look around as you ride since you might hit a boulder and utilize the pads. But we did stop on occasion to regroup, to take pictures, or to eat a snack. There were several flat tires, but not on my personal bike, so I took off to stay ahead. It was a beautiful 30-mile ride from 15,737 feet back to my place at around 8000 feet. Would I do it again? Yes, but it would be more fun with family and friends.
            Two and one-half weeks from now (Nov 2013), I plan to climb Mt Misti (just under 20,000 feet) with a dozen of the Calvin students. This too was one of my goals. This too should be a special treat. First though, in the near future we leave for Cuzco and Machu Picchu with the students. After this, we conquer Misti, Lord Willing (Ojala) on November 16 and 17, 2013. And we did!

 This is Chachani from our flat. Too bad some other houses are in the way

One more shot of Misti from our apartment.

Dan Dillbeck in July 2014
Since this initial 2013 post, I have biked Chachani a few more times, one time with my son-in-law Dan pictured above.  Paz y Shalom.


1 comment:

  1. Biking down Chachani is a special treat here in Arequipa, Peru.

    ReplyDelete